What should I tell you about my Transylvania? I do not know where to start, that’s how beautiful it is. In the beginning of the year I decided to get to Transylvania once. I already got here 4 times and the year has not ended yet. I guess that says it all. To better understand it, you have to feel Transylvania, to taste it, to smell it, to discover it … It will leave you speechless, because Transylvania is wow and so much more than its famous ambassador Dracula. What I liked most in Transylvania and where I recommend you go at least once in life would be:
- Alba Iulia – a city where the Guard changes every day at 12 o’clock . See? … you do not have to go to London, you just need to go to Alba. I wrote all about what you can do in 1 day in Alba Carolina Citadel here.
- Taste Transylvania …. You could have a picnic on Cindrel Mountain, followed by a traditional meal at some welcoming locals in Transylvania… Sounds good, right? We already went there and we cannot wait to repeat the wow experience. I wrote about it here. Or maybe try a different kind of Brunch? A Transylvanian one with good traditional food spiced up with local flavours. Also, in 2019 Sibiu county is European gastronomic region, so don’t miss Sibiu :).
- Although Transylvania is much more than Dracula, still if you didn’t yet visit Bran Castle, also known as Dracula’s Castle, it’s high time you do it! Thousands of tourists from all over the world are coming to Bran. It would be a shame to miss it. I did it and it really is worth paying a visit.
- Sleep one night in a Saxon traditional house, like in the old times. And get to know the people in those places. Talk to them, they will gladly open their soul. That way you will get to know them better. Such a wow place is in Veseud village. I found it by chance and came back the third time already. Between you and me, I never return to the same hotel/guesthouse, each time wanting to discover new places. Yet, whenever we want to be pampered, we go back to Lucretia at Veseud 11.
- Drive on Transfagarasan. Some have called it the most beautiful road in Romania. After I drove on Transalpina, I’m not so sure anymore. But go on both of them and decide for yourself which one is more beautiful. Ah … and if you get here, don’t miss the Cistercians and the fairies … You have no idea what I’m talking about, huh? You can find out more here …They will blow you away.
- Transalpina road ….a lot turns and twists – the drivers dream. Hard to decide if Transfagarasan or Transalpina is most beautiful. I guess it’s a matter of taste. So go on, try it. My personal opininon? If Top Gear called Transfagarasan the best road in the world , it’s clear they didn’t drive on Transalpina Road, so what are you waiting for?
There are so many reasons to visit Transylvania. Above there are just a few. So why don’t you come over? And on your way back you can give us also some other reasons to return…. amazing Sibiu, colourful Sighisoara, stunning Brasov maybe…. So, why don’t you come over? Book your holiday here!